Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Cross about Hot Cross Buns

Hot Cross Buns used to be an Easter treat. In particular they were to be eaten on Good Friday, there's a clue in the cross! I have strong and vivid memories of walkingi with my father down to the baker's which was in the next village early on Good Friday to buy the buns to eat at breakfast. The bakery used to open early specially. I can feel the heat of the sun on my skin, the brightness of the daffodils and the warm, yeasty spicy smell of the buns. The pleasure of doing something important alone with my father.

So I'm not sure what upsets me more: the fact that Hot Cross Buns are pretty much around all year now, or the fact that my current local bakers has them labelled as 'currant buns'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home